Sunday, May 21, 2017

My Top Five Sites for Medieval Reenactors - Medieval Clickbait!

Good morrow!  Let us take a look at a few other blogs that are directly relative to information I intend to share.  These are blog sites that I have found incredibly useful in developing my medieval persona and accoutrements. 

First, let's look at Tasha Kelly's blog "La Cotte Simple"  This is one of the best, most comprehensive websites on 14th and early 15th century clothing reproduction.  Tasha works diligently to produce content that is relevant to people looking to do reconstruction/museum reproduction level work in costuming.  Her recent blog on fur in medieval clothing has been timely for me since I had a recent run in with trying to line a capelet with a length of vair (which is squirrel fur for those who are new to medieval fur).

Another useful site for medievalists is Dame Helen's Library.  I took Helen's class on cotehardies (the fitted, full skirted gown many people associate with "medieval princesses") back in the 90s.  It was eye opening and the first time I ever remember hearing someone talk about how many different methods there may be to achieve the same outcome.  It's helped me develop my own thoughts on medieval clothing.  If you are around any reenactors for long you will run into someone who believes in "the one true way".  Don't bother to argue with these folk, you will be unlikely to change their minds.  Just be aware that there can be many different paths to the same end result.

Clothing is only one part of reenactment life, however.  Eulalia Hath a Blogge is one of my favorites for cooking.  Since my persona is from medieval York, I find her research and insights useful for the camp cooking I do at our annual Lilies War in Smithville, Missouri. A deeper dive into her research, however, shows that she's also deeply interested in the roles of working women.  We often have a Victorian view of the middle ages, wherein women never showed their ankles or made lewd references...reality is not so simple.  While Eulalia sometimes doubts her research, I've seen with my own eyes the lists of female guild members listed at the Museum of London and know that some women were workers in their own right.

The single best resource for material sources for medieval and renaissance reenactors without a doubt is Larsdatter.  This site is unusual because while it has a blog of new sources added, it is mainly a compilation of all the different visual sources available online from various museums and online collections.  Want to look at pictures of medieval buckets?  Table settings?  Children's toys?  This is the site to start your research at.

Finally, on the philosophy of being a laurel in the SCA...Isobel of Bedingford...the Attack Laurel.  We don't see eye to eye on everything, but on many things, yes.  She is a sharp wit and someone that I find distinctly amusing.  It's not always easy to be a laurel in the society.  We are the first people look at to be the arbiters of research, style, and competence in the arts and sciences.  It doesn't matter if your laurel happens to be in 9th century metalwork, if you don't dress well, teach and present yourself well, people will not respect you or your research.  Attack laurel is someone who has a biting sense of humor about what it means to be a laurel in the SCA even if we've never personally met or if we don't live in the same kingdom.

So there are a few people who have influenced who I have become over the years in the SCA.  These are some of the most accessible for beginners (no deep dives into z-twist spun silk embroidery threads here).  I hope you enjoy these sites and find them as useful in your own 14th century research as I have.

In service,
Elianor


No comments:

Post a Comment

Class Wrap Up

This blog has been a class project for a social media course I've been taking.  This post is reflection on branding and what I've le...